Buying a home is the largest purchase most of us ever encounter. Yet a small percentage of people sometimes take less time considering it than they do when buying an online item. The reason is, it’s unique territory to many. We don’t know what to ask and we are aided by many professionals unlike when we buy items on online.
We also may take things for granted, rely on others too much, and sometimes this leads to buyers remorse. So let’s help you arm your self with the mortgage not-to-do’s that can cause you to lose your new home, before you even move in.
Regardless if you are pre-approved for a mortgage or currently engaged in negotiating a home purchase with an approved mortgage, these rules below apply. The rules are especially important after you have removed your subjects on your purchase contract and put up your deposit to hold your home because if you make one bad move here you could lose your deposit which can be $10,000 to $100,000 and be subject to lawsuits.
- Thou shall not buy a new car, no matter what, or you may be living in it! It will impact your debt ratio’s and you could be declined.
- Thou shall not co-sign a loan for anyone, for anything. It will impact your debt ratio’s and you could be declined.
- Thou shall not quit or change your job. New job income’s can not be used for a mortgage application, and it will impact your debt ratio’s and you could be declined.
- Thou shall not use your Credit Cards or Line Of Credits for big purchase. It will impact your debt ratio’s and you could be declined.
- Thou shall not spend your down payment savings or closing costs savings verified by your mortgage company. They will decline you if they recheck.
- …Did I mention don’t quit your job?? That’s a big one. I’ve seen it twice in 15 years to my amazement and yes the lenders check up to 10 days before closing. They frown upon this.
- Thou shall not apply for new credit of any type, especially lines of credit for reno’s or furniture purchase. It will impact your debt ratio’s and you could be declined.
- Thou shall not make large deposits into your savings and chequing accounts. All deposits must now be verified and this takes time and could result in long delays at closing.
- Thou shall not allow any mortgage application to be processed with omitted OR missing debts or non-disclosed support payments. It will be found eventually and usually too late. This is your responsibility ultimately – your bank and mortgage brokers can’t read minds and don’t always see all debts up front.
- Thou shall not miss a payment or a cell phone bill. Any missed payments may lower your score and cause the lender to pull their approval.
I hope this list was helpful and if you are looking for a mortgage in Chilliwack, Abbotsford or Mission we have offices and mortgages brokers standing by!
I personally would like to wish you and your families a healthy and prosperous 2018.
By Referral Mortgage Consultants*
“Click, Call, Chat – Award Winning Brokers”
Dave 604 897 2741 Jordi 604 615 1312